How to play PySol
Left mouse button:
- Drag cards around
- Click on the Talon to deal new cards
Right mouse button (or double-click the left button):
- Drop cards to the Foundations
- Quick play (if enabled)
Middle mouse button (or Ctrl-click the right button):
- View partially overlapped cards
Ctrl-click the left mouse button:
- Highlight all matching cards on the table
Shift-click the left mouse button:
- Highlight all cards with the same rank.
Put three fingers of one hand on 'A' (auto drop),
'S' (undo) and 'D' (deal).
You can also reach 'R' (redo) from there.
Left-handed people may prefer using 'L' (auto drop),
'K' (undo) and 'J' (deal).
Note that automatic play can spoil the gameplay, so purists should
not enable any option but maybe Auto face up. Also, some games
disable certain features as they would be trivial otherwise.
Auto face up
- Automatically face up all cards.
- Automatically drop cards to the Foundations.
- Automatically deal cards to the Waste stack if it is empty.
- Use the right mouse button to move piles around quickly.
The logic involved is not too clever on purpose
(i.e. it does not consult the hint system).
The animation is too slow...
Unfortunately the Tcl/Tk toolkit lacks a sprite concept, so
there is a lot of (invisible double-buffered) redraw going on
when dragging cards around.
Disabling Card shadow, Shade legal moves,
background table tiles and sound will somewhat improve the display speed.
The table tiles look strange
Background table tiles should only be enabled when using
a true-color video mode - otherwise they may look bad
because of dithering.
BTW, you can add your own background tiles by copying the images
to the main data/tiles or your home ~/.PySolFC/tiles directory.
Some notes about scoring
- Scoring only begins after you make your first move.
Also, if you undo all your moves back to the start
the game won't score either.
- You will lose a game if you consume a hint or start demo mode.
- You can restart any time to get another chance to win this game.
- If you don't want to score a lost game you can temporarily change
the player options.
- Loaded games don't count.
- If you win a game without using Undo, Quick play and
any other of the assist functions you will be given special awards.
- And finally always remember that this is a Patience game.
Relax and enjoy.
Undocumented key bindings
- Space - Deal
- S - Undo
- Backspace - Undo
- Ctrl-A - Auto drop and face up cards in one step
- Ctrl-B - Change card background
- Ctrl-H - Show internal rating when giving a hint
- Ctrl-I - Change table tile
- Ctrl-N - Start a new game with the next game number
- Ctrl-P - Change player name
- Ctrl-U - Play the next music song
Back to the index